Wat. Een. Vrouw.
Gloria Steinem, de feministische auteur en activiste, is hét vrouwenicoon van dit moment. Hoog tijd om haar in het zonnetje te zetten. En hoe kunnen we dat beter doen dan door haar geweldige (en best wel legendarische) uitspraken op een rij te zetten.
1. Women are always saying We can do anything that men can do. But men should be saying We can do anything that women can do.
2. I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career.
3. A liberated woman is one who has sex before marriage and a job after.
4. A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
5. Women are not going to be equal outside the home until men are equal in it.
6. We are still identified by our looks instead of our hearts or heads. Thats why its so much better to break the rules. If the rules worked, wed be able to see it. If women were able to sleep to the top, there would be many more women at the top.
7. ?For women bras, panties, bathing suits, and other stereotypical gear are visual reminders of a commercial, idealized feminine image that our real and diverse female bodies cant possibly fit. Without these visual references, each individual womans body demands to be accepted on its own terms. We stop being comparatives. We begin to be unique.
8. ?There are really not many jobs that actually require a penis or a vagina, and all other occupations should be open to everyone.
9. Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.
10. Ive yet to be on a campus where most women werent worrying about some aspect of combining marriage, children, and a career. Ive yet to find one where many men were worrying about the same thing.
11. So whatever you want to do, just do it… Making a damn fool of yourself is absolutely essential.
12. Power can be taken, but not given. The process of the taking is empowerment in itself.
13. A woman who aspires to be something is called a bitch.